Friday 19 February 2010

A Few Special Books

I'm preparing a school event about why books are special. Here's a preview of some of the books I've chosen.




First up is this beautiful catalogue of The Albertina Exhibition of Hundertwasser's Complete Graphic Work 1951-1976. I've treasured this since 1985.



And nearly twenty years later it inspired my daughter to make this.



Next, my most recently acquired special book and current favourite. The Margaret Rudkin Pepperidge Farm Cookbook beautifully illustrated by Erik Blegvad. I've wanted this book for ages and have often looked for it on Abe Books It's big and heavy and most likely to be found in the States and sellers don't want to ship to UK. But I found this one in England and now it's mine and I love it!



Lots of things make this book special - the quality of the illustrations, the years of wanting it and finally owning it to name but two. But there's more. The dustjacket was damaged and consequently I noticed that the hardcover beneath it had a different illustration. Imagine someone owning this book for years, cooking from it, loving the pictures and getting it down from the shelf for a child to enjoy without knowing it had a secret.



The care, outstanding quality and sheer generosity of the design takes my breath away. Erik Blegvad is one of the finest illustrators there is and deserves world recognition. Read more about him here.

And this copy is special to me because last week Erik signed it for me.



Next, a book that is simple, clever and utterly brilliant. Perhaps the most honest and the most accessible Don't Do Drugs message there is. If you don't know this book and you know a teenager buy it for them.



The House That Crack Built - written by Clark Taylor illustrated by Jan Thompson Dicks. Get it from a bookshop near you.

And now for the handmade books and a whole other level of special.



This beautiful book, The Firewood poem bound in wood is from Harrington and Squires All I want to say about this exquisite book is you have to hold it in your hands to believe it.

Here is another I treasure from Harrington and Squires - The Golden Key



Better pictures on their website

As I'm doing this I keep thinking of more books on my shelf that I want to include here. This is the last one for now though.

Last but not least but oh so very tiny.



It's small, but yes, you can read it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooo
oooo
ooo and
oh
oh
oh

yummy

joshjfranks said...

I love this blog! It is so difficult to think of truly special books. Every time you buy a new book or read a good book it feels special but this, it seems, requires more. I have no idea what book I'd take on a desert island and it is so difficult to separate book from story because there are lots of stories that i'd describe as special. There is a book that I am looking for at the moment that i'd describe as special. I would love to own a first edition hardback copy of 'The Enormous Crocodile". It was the first book that Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake worked together on. It is also an amazing book with fantastic illustrations. What I really love though, is the picture of the crocodile that spans the front and back covers! I also love the book of the exhibition 'Londoners Through a Lens' It contains so many fabulous photographs with amazing stories. I love 'Tadpole's promise' by Willis and Ross because of the combination of a unique story and the unusual orientation of the illustrations. I can't think of any others for now other than to include a book that seems to provide my flat mate with endless fascination. 'True Colours' is a library of football kits of the last 20 years. You wouldn't think so, but it is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Josh - you could have a look at Abe books for the Dahl there are definitely a few US first editions there. I like the sound of twenty years of football kits - seems unlikely but compelling I bet.