Friday 15 May 2009

The Race for the Lost Keystone - Lorabeth Lampton

The other day I received an email asking me about Lorabeth Lampton from a reader called Robbie. Lorabeth Lampton is the villain in my heartstone books.

Unfortunately Robbie I've been unable to reply because my email keeps bouncing back. (I think that maybe the adult whose computer you were on has their inbox protected)

So, I hope you find your way here and thank you for writing. Here's my reply:-

Hi Robbie,
Thank you for taking the trouble to write to me. I'm really happy that you're enjoying The Race for the Lost Keystone.
Ah, Lorabeth Lampton - that mean old nasty piece of work - she's so mean and nasty that she was really good fun to write. I don't know how I came up with her exactly, but its funny how a character starts to become real as the story grows. I'll be thinking about the plot and planning what's going to happen next and as I imagine a scene I just know how Lorabeth is going to react and what she will say. She has a lot of power but she's a bit of a loner. She has people who work for her but the clever ones - the scientists - they might start questioning whether she should be doing what she's doing and that makes her mad. So, then she has Bardolph and Frimley who aren't very smart so they aren't going to ask too many questions but they annoy her because they blunder about and get things wrong.
Happy reading and say Hi to your reading group
Best Wishes
Val

1 comment:

Fearless said...

Sometimes there's a clue to a person's origins and character hidden in the letters making up their name... click or copy and paste this link into your web browser (be patient - it might take a minute or so for the list to appear):
www.wordsmith.org