Wednesday 14 April 2010

Young Writers 5







I took my A'levels in the baking hot summer of 1977 and I remember feeling really miserable that I was having to revise when the sun was shining and the neighbours were out dancing in the street. Oh yes, they were literally dancing in the street because it was the Queen's Silver Jubilee and everyone went slightly crazy. Well, they did where I lived - for example, Mr.Broadhams and his son painted the kerb stones red white and blue. It was still there ten years later.

There seems to me to be something mean spirited about the timing of exams. Enter the evil fairy "Are you enjoying the sunshine? The blossom and the birdsong? Lovely isn't it? Well, now you have to do a test. Mwa-ha-ha-ha!"

SATs are coming up for Year 6 and I'm always on the lookout for ways to make the task of revision more interesting. Just before the Easter break we made folding books with tips and mnemonics to help with editing. True to form they took the idea and ran with it.









Examples shown are by Kate, Ruby, Hugo, Emille, Sofia, Eileen, Margaux and Syd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed making the books with Val especially decorating the covers and illustrating our work.
The books look nice as well as helping you remember important writing tips. They were easy and simple to make and we would recommend making one to all.